Monday, January 6, 2020

Welcome to Ubon Ratchathani!

On Monday morning, Kris and I walked to the park in Bangkok, near the guest house. It's a beautiful green space in this bustling, busy city of Bangkok.  One loop of the park is 1.5 miles. There were many other runners and walkers.

At one point in the run, some music started playing and everyone stopped and stood still.  I quickly followed suit...they play their national anthem each morning.

It was a hot and humid morning--87 degrees at 7:30 a.m.!  Kris walked while I ran. I did a 3 mile run before we headed back to the guest house for breakfast.




 

 



 

Breakfast at the guest house this morning was fruit, yogurt and granola again. Their hot dish options today were boiled rice (more runny), eggs and cucumbers and morning glory veggie, and over-medium eggs.  It was all delicious--again...except when I attempted something new.  I got excited when I saw peanut butter near the toast so I got a small amount of that to put in the rice.  I was thinking...kind of like oatmeal or cream of wheat. At home I add peanut butter to my oatmeal, so that's kind of what I had in mind.  Well, before Kris knew what I was doing (adding it to the rice), she was shocked! It was really funny...I thought, maybe I would start a new trend, but no...not so much. It did not taste good...at all. We had a good laugh over that one.

 

After breakfast, Silk met us to take a short walk for coffee and tea before we left for the airport. Silk wanted me to try another Thai tea. So, this morning was green iced tea. Delicious!  Then, they wanted to show me a local bakery that they enjoy. Kris and I bought a spinach and cheese pie and an egg tart for our lunch at the airport.

 

 

This was made of all recycled plastic bottles



We said our goodbyes to Silk (we will see her in a week when we go back to Bangkok for my return flight to the U.S.) and got a taxi to the airport. 

Once checked in at the airport, we sat down to enjoy our snack. The spinach and cheese pie was very flaky dough, and somehow, I ended up making quite the mess with mine. Sometimes, you just can't take me anywhere. The egg tart was quite tasty too.

 


Once we got to Ubon, Sophie picked us up at the airport and to go to their house. On the way, we stopped at a fruit market to pick up some fruit to enjoy--oranges, grapes, and rose apples.  Looking forward to trying the rose apples -- something new for me.


When we got to the house, Kris showed me to my room for the week and I did some laundry. We all spent some time just regrouping and getting ready for our week ahead. Their home here is a beautiful space of peace and respite. The birds singing outside my window are beautiful.


 

Rose apples - the skin reminded me of the texture of a pepper, but it pretty much tastes like a regular apple
Dinner tonight was Vietnamese!  So fresh and delicious! 



We were excited to each have our own basket of greens - so much freshness

So excited to spend the week with Sophie and Kris!
Looking forward to the week ahead with the team here in Ubon!












No comments:

Post a Comment