Saturday, January 4, 2020

Climbing the mountain

Saturday, we started our day like every other--a delicious breakfast from one of the local stands.

 

I was hoping to be able to fuel up well for my day ahead so I ordered a piece of chicken and a bowl of rice porridge. I've never had anything like this porridge, but I have to say it was very delicious! Seriously, the food here is amazing--so fresh and so many flavors popping in your mouth. Enjoyed some hot milk tea and some sweet Thai desserts too.


 

 

Why did I need to fuel up so well?  I was off on an amazing adventure today--solo. I had learned about a "once in a lifetime" hike that was in the area so I took the opportunity. The driver picked me up at the hotel around 8:15 or so and I joined with 4 others to go climb Dragon Crest Mountain (you should really google it).

On the ride there, I met two other women and we ended up hiking together. Amela and Desiree, both from the Netherlands. Although I was fully prepared to go it alone, it was so fun to have some hiking buddies!

It took about 2 hours to climb up the mountain and then about 1.5 hours to go back down. The terrain was very difficult at some spots. The forest and scenery was gorgeous. The view at the top--simply spectacular!  I'm so thankful for this opportunity and so grateful for my health and strength. Once again, in awe of God's beautiful creation. I'll just let the photos speak for themselves.

 

 

 

 









 

 

 

 

The locusts were so loud...and beautiful! 



Once I got back from the hike, I met Kris and Silk and we got a tuk-tuk to our new hotel for the night. I think I'm going to treat my feet to a spa treatment tonight...just sayin'. 




Our room for our last night here

So, I DID treat myself to a foot massage--60 minutes for $13!? Best. Treat. Ever.  It was a very nice, beautiful spa. Kris and Silk had researched a few options near our new hotel. Turns out, there was one directly across the street from our hotel--or so we thought. I went there to have the massage and when I arrived, it was explained to me that it wasn't at THAT spa, that I would have a driver take me somewhere? I wasn't sure if I was getting the translation right, so I called Kris and had her speak with the woman. Turns out, the brochure that this specific woman actually gave to Kris and Silk at this spa...was NOT for this spa....?  But, they all must work together? I don't really know...

So, a driver did come pick me up (no charge) and take me 2 minutes down the road to another spa. 

 
  

I was given this tea to drink when I walked in. So pretty, and so tasty.

 

Then, the real magic began. Oh. My. So good! Just what these tired feet and legs needed. 

When I finished, they gave me a cup of tea and some cookies
The driver came back to pick me up and dropped me off at the hotel. What service!  Then, we went out for dinner at a pretty restaurant.  We had a nice, cultural surprise of some karoke happening at the restaurant. I couldn't resist taking a video to share with you.


  



Tomorrow is our last day here. We will spend it relaxing on the beach as long as possible before heading to the airport to fly back to Bangkok. 





No comments:

Post a Comment