Thursday, January 9, 2020

Visiting Villages

Thursday morning  started with a phone call with Jared. I've been able to talk with him now twice while I've been away. It was great to hear his voice again and to talk about what's been going on with each of us while we're apart.

I'm really enjoying sleeping with the windows open and a fan going in the room. The birds in the morning sound beautiful. If I wasn't a morning person, I probably couldn't appreciate this.

We didn't have as much time this morning, so we didn't go to the park. That didn't stop me from getting some exercise. I did a workout in their yard and then finished it with 10, 100 meter sprint repeats on a road in their housing complex. THAT got some looks from the neighbors. One of them was out pushing a stroller and she actually just stopped and sat on the curb to watch me, haha! I warned Kris and Sophie when I got back that they may hear about that one later.

 

After my workout, I decided to sit on the balcony to have my breakfast.  Well, little did I know that there was a bee's nest right below where I was sitting. They weren't happy that I was so close to them. Guess I'm going home with a bee sting!

 

Today was going to be a full day of village ministry. Kris, Pawn and I set off around 9:00 a.m. and we got home around 6:00 p.m. What a full day it was! I was really looking forward to the day. Village ministry is what I enjoyed most when I visited here 8 years ago. 

Many of you know that God has been tugging at my heart for the unreached people groups. The Isaan people in Thailand are one of those groups. These people are beautiful. They are in very remote areas. Kris and her team have been meeting with these people for the last 15 years. Some of the people have come and gone (either moved away or passed away). Several have come to know the Lord and there are believers in each village. Many of the believers are older. Please join with me in praying that the younger generation will begin to step up and that God will call them to lead the churches in the villages. 

We stopped on the way to pick up some fruit to take with us as we visited the families. As we traveled, we spent time praying for the day ahead. We each received a picture or word that we shared with each other.  God showed us that he wanted us to pray for healing and it may involve someone's throat, wrist or heel. Pawn shared from Matthew where Jesus asked the person before praying for their healing if they believed he could heal them, did they have faith? We felt we needed to be aware of what, if, and when God wanted us to share this with any in the village today.

fruit market where stopped on the way

Some of the landscape as we traveled today. Since it is winter, the landscape looks more brown and barren. In the spring and summer, these fields are full of rice in various shades of green or gold (depending on the season). My last visit eight years ago was in August, so I have had the opportunity to see the beauty of the green rice fields. 

"baled" rice

cattle in the field

water buffalo are everywhere here
the road to Sawang Na Fai village is still unpaved

 

Our first stop was in the Pai Yai village. We visited five family units in this village (we didn't stay long at all of the stops, some were just to invite to church on Sunday). Many of the people we visited today have suffered, or are suffering with various mental illnesses. I shared my testimony, and the journey of Jared and I and our testimony together, with several people today. Sometimes, Kris just gives them a highlight (a "trailer" version) and is inviting them to come to church on Sunday to hear more. Kris believes the timing of my visit is not an accident. I pray that our testimony can be an encouragement to many here and a testimony of God's faithfulness as well. When I was talking with Jared in the morning and sharing with him about this and how there are many here suffering with mental illness, he was thinking it was pretty cool that I'm here now and able to share. He has come so far. I'm so thankful for him and his love and support. He's joining me in prayer from home to pray for God to move here among the people. I'm just a vessel, willing to be used by God in whatever way I can.

First stop was at the home of Mae Pom and Paw Ubon. The wife is a believer and her husband accepted Christ during our visit! What a beautiful thing to be a part of!  There daughter is dealing with a crisis right now. Their son, M, is also dealing with a health crisis, his 1.5 year old son is in the hospital.  Both the son and daughter have struggled with mental illness. Please pray that they both are able to come to church on Sunday and that they would be encouraged by what God will have me share.

singing, worshiping in Thai (I'm just listening, of course)

Praying for Paw Ubon - he had pain in his wrist and heel and had trouble with shaking (nerves). After praying for him, he felt less pain and peace. 

Pawn sharing the salvation message 

Paw Ubon asking Jesus into his heart
We visited Pu Bin and Ya Mai (these are actually the parents of Paw Ubon). The grandfather is a believer, the grandmother is back and forth. Aren't they the cutest??

Pu Bin and Ya Mai

They served us some corn (which is like our field corn in America). It was roasted and I was pleasantly surprised at how sweet and good it tasted. Kris and Pawn said this was unusually sweeter than most.


Next we visited another dear couple, Ta Da Noo and Yay Nookhai. I couldn't get over how cute she was...and look at those eyebrows!! 

We prayed for them. She can't get around as well anymore and can't see very well. We prayed that she may find strength to visit church on Sunday. He has been having trouble with high blood pressure and swollen ankles. We spent time praying and visiting with them.
 



  

We visited Paw Lem and Mae Jat. Paw Lem is a believer, his wife is not yet. Paw Lem had been very sick but now he is doing well. 


 

Paw Lem



After leaving the village, the plan was to stop at a local market for lunch. When we arrived, the place Kris and Pawn were thinking of was not open. So, they bought some snacks to hold me over...fried bananas, sweet potatoes and some sort of other "dough" balls. And, of course, an iced tea.





Went with a bag of tea this time. It's mostly ice and lasted all day (with some leftover for Friday!)
 

 Then we arrived at our lunch spot after a bit of driving.

 

After lunch, we went to the Sawang Na Fai village. This is the most rural and least developed place where the team visits. Paw Boon and Mae Boon were the believers in this village and they have moved away. We visited grandma, Paw Boon's mother.

When we arrived, one of the daughters was weaving. What a lost art!


 





 

Grandma, Paw Boon's mother, isn't she beautiful??
 Another visit we made (and I can't remember which stop this was, if it was before or after lunch...but it really doesn't matter). We visited Mae Luea and Jaw. I remember visiting Mae Luea and this home eight years ago.  Jaw just had a baby, Drone. So cute.


  
 

 On our way back home, we made a stop at "monkey village" or maybe some would call it the "monkey plague." So many monkeys.




  

We made one more stop on the way home at the hospital to visit M's son and wife. 

We ended the day with an Isaan meal. The food was very spicy and my mouth was on fire, even brought some tears to my eyes (I'm a wimp, though). Once I adjusted a bit, and with the help of lots of sticky rice, I was able to enjoy it.


 

 


What a full and beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment