Friday, January 3, 2020

Back in Thailand!

So, it's early Saturday morning, January 4. That means I've been in Thailand for four days now, starting the 5th day here. Based on all of the things I've seen and experienced, it feels like it should be more than that!

I'm so happy to be back in Thailand. It's been 8 years since my last visit. Thailand is one of my favorite places to go. I was able to take some vacation time to spend this first week at Krabi Beach with Kris and Silk. And, let me tell you, it is amazing!

I'm going to try to run through the last few days here and capture the highlights so far. But, before I go there, I have to give a shout out to my awesome husband. We talked yesterday and it was great to share with him the things I've been experiencing here. He was so excited and happy for me. I am so thankful for his good health and for his support of me and my many adventures. He's happy that I can experience these things (and that he can experience them through me, haha!). As we begin 2020, my heart is forever grateful for the goodness and faithfulness of God and for the amazing love, support and encouragement I receive from Jared.  Enough sappiness for now...

My flights were a bit delayed coming here, so I arrived early Tuesday morning, December 31, getting to the guest house around 3 am.  After traveling over 24 hours, it felt so good to be able to get a shower and lay flat in bed. Kris was a saint to pick me up at that ridiculous hour! 

After a few hours of sleep, we had some breakfast and then explored Bangkok a bit. The goal for the day was to stay awake as long as possible so I could adjust to the time change more quickly. No naps! There is a beautiful park near the guest house where we walked. I hope to go for a run there later in the week when we return from Krabi before flying to Ubon.


Breakfast the first morning, definitely looking a little rough

Breakfast



We met Silk and took a boat to a nearby mall. And, what a mall it was! This mall was beautiful! I've never seen anything like it. We didn't take time to shop, we just explored a bit and then had a delicious lunch. We didn't have a lot of time because we had to catch a flight to Krabi later that day.  We stopped at a 7-11 for my first Thai iced tea here, coffee for Kris and Silk.  Man, I'm still looking rough!

  






 

Lunch!



Flight to Krabi
 
My room at the beach
We arrived in Krabi around 7:30 on New Year's Eve. After checking into our hotel, we got some dinner and then walked around the bustling town. The streets were packed with so many tourists, lots of music, lights and festivities--all for the New Year's Eve festivities. We ended up at the beach and saw many lanterns floating in the sky. People were releasing them as part of the New Year's celebration. It really was a beautiful sight, the photos don't really show how pretty it was.  I was really trying to stay up, but with only having 7-8 hours of sleep in a 2 day period, my body was telling me otherwise.  I actually ended up being awake after midnight with all of the fireworks going off as the new year started. So, happy new year!

  




 



I didn't really sleep great that first night--a combination of adjusting to the time change as well as my excitement to get the vacation started and explore the town. I got up early on New Year's Day and set out for my traditional New Year's Day run. I ended up on a 4.5 mile exploratory run/walk/hike. As I was running on the beach, I saw a trail of wooden steps leading up the mountain and I had to check it out. Turns out, it was Monkey Trail (because there is usually a lot of monkeys on it--I only saw a few). The trail lead to another beach and a floating dock.

  

 



After breakfast, we spent the day at the Beach, relaxing all day long. I even found some sea glass!  It's been low 80's but not humid, which has been very nice. But, the sun is intense here! No SPF 15 for me...gotta break out the 50 SPF!  Lunch was amazing!  We ended our day with a Thai massage. Let me tell you, I've had a Thai massage before, but never one quite like this. I was bent, and twisted and contorted into so many positions and then actually was walked on too--all by a tiny, 88 lb. Thai woman. I was so tight and messed up from the long flight and this massage hurt so good. I was completely wiped out and relaxed after she finished. All for the bargain price of $9 for the hour!
We enjoyed some great food for dinner and some rolled ice cream for dessert.

Breakfast on Wednesday




 

  


Thai massages
My relaxed self...

 

 

On Thursday, we enjoyed another breakfast with the locals, including some sweet Chinese donuts! I love that Kris and Silk want to eat at the small local places and not the larger "tourist" restaurants.  If you see the locals eating there, you know it's good. After breakfast, we took a longtail boat to Railay beach. Another beautiful beach to explore for the day. I had no idea the beaches in Thailand would be so beautiful. The water is a blue/green and comfortable temperature. I'm here in high season, so the beaches are pretty crowded, but not too bad. The shade is hard to come by, and believe me, as I mentioned before, the sun is intense. We definitely want shade. We swam and relaxed for a bit on the beach and then walked to the other side of the island. This side is busier where many of the tour boats come in. We found a nice shady spot to sit for a bit and enjoy our lunch--which we bought from a boat on the water! 

  

Chinese donuts





 

 




 


It was so fun to sit under the tree, eating our lunch and watching all of the activity of people walking by. I loved seeing all of the boats selling food lined up and all of the people enjoying the food. My lunch was a pineapple beef fried rice and a passion fruit drink. Seriously, I am loving all of the food here--so good and fresh! I enjoyed the afternoon of relaxing in the shade with a few of short rotations in the sun, haha. 




As one point in the afternoon, we noticed a bikini top swinging in the breeze above our heads, hanging in the tree...and the bottoms laying on the sand beside us. We were wondering where the naked woman was...

We had a mid-afternoon snack of more fruit drinks - watermelon for me this time. So refreshing! As we were enjoying our drinks and people-watching, we noticed the couple in front of us. They guy pulled out something from his bag to lay his face on (because the sand was coming through his blanket and bothering him). We realized he pulled out his underwear (!?) and was now laying with his face on them...well, that's not something you see every day, haha!

Laughter is so good for the soul and we certainly have been doing a lot of that!

We walked back to the other side of the island, taking a different path this time. There was a beautiful pond (not sure if that's what they would call it?) and a row of pretty sunflowers along the way. Also passed a few rock climbers, made me think of my nephew Carter and our rock climbing adventures.
Then we came upon an entire walking street of shops and restaurants. I had no idea these were hidden behind us the entire time!

  

 

Rock climbers
 




We decided at around 5 (I think, can't remember for sure) that we would head back to the mainland. Once back at our hotel, we jumped in the pool for a bit. It's so nice to have a hotel with a pool to wrap up our beach days before showering and heading out for dinner. 

It's amazing how tired you get when you don't really do anything, right? We all felt tired, a good tired, from being in the sun all day. Our dinner was the best.dinner.ever! The flavors just bursting and popping with every bite, seriously. Perfect ending to a perfect day.

 


On Friday, our adventure involved taking a speed boat to Hong Island, with two stops on the way. We were picked up at our hotel around 8:30 to start the day. I'm loving all of these different boat experiences too. It took about 20 minutes to get to the first stop - Laolading Island. It was a tiny beach. We weren't there long, but were able to snorkel here. I wish I would have had an underwater camera - so many beautiful fish and pretty coral. I am amazed and in awe of our beautiful creation. God is so creative and an awesome artist! 


 

 

Our next stop was Pakbia Island where we had lunch. Again, the food did not disappoint.


 


Finally, we made it to Hong Island where would spend the rest of the afternoon.  We napped, snorkeled and relaxed here. The sand--oh, my! I've never seen such beautiful white sand, and it was the softest, silkiest sand I've ever seen. I wish I could have bottled some to bring home!  There was also a short nature trail here where I went for a walk. As you know, I don't want to miss anything.

 
 

 

 






Soon, it was time to get back on the boat to return to the mainland. We decided that we were going to get some Thai iced teas from my little coffee shop (yep, I already have a little shop that I've been stopping by each morning for the iced tea).  We got back to our hotel to lounge by pool, enjoying our iced teas. 




Dinner that night was Indian. Again, so fresh and delicious! I'm loving all of these international and cultural foods. It always reminds me of how far I've come. I didn't always like trying new things...so glad THAT has changed!  For dessert, I tried some crispy pancakes from a food vendor on the street. They did not disappoint either.

A beautiful sunset



Enjoying a mango lasi

Thai crispy pancakes


As we walked back to the hotel, I stopped at a Subway (yes, you heard that right...the Subway sandwich shop). I got a sandwich made to prepare for my adventure on Saturday.  What will that be, you ask?  Well...

I'm super excited (which is probably why I'm awake now and writing this at 4:30 in the morning). Today I'm off to hike Dragon Crest mountain! Apparently it's a must see here and I'll have some amazing views! Sounds like a pretty intense 5-mile hike, but I'm ready for it! Say a prayer for me and stay tuned for pictures later!

 If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you can follow my stories there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment