Saturday, December 16, 2017

When life throws you for a loop...

December 7, 2017…ten days ago…the day our world turned upside down…again…

When I started this blog site, I was originally only going to use it for my travels and my adventures around the world.  Well, I’m experiencing a new kind of adventure, one I’d rather not experience again, but it helps me to process my feelings and experiences…so, you can have a glimpse into a bit of my life lately…

I. hate. mental. Illness.
It is so misunderstood. 
Society treats it differently than medical illnesses.  It is a silent agony. 
How do I know this?  Only because, for 25 years, I’ve been married to someone who struggles with this…every. single. day.  It is a battle.  It is a painful battle.  It is so hard to watch someone you love, spiral downward and feeling so helpless.

On December 7, Jared reached a breaking point.  He was tired of the battle, tired of fighting so hard to get through each day.  He tried to take his life.  Thankfully, he wasn’t successful.  He has been in the hospital since that day, now under psychiatric care.  I am happy with the psychiatrist and social worker.  He has a great treatment team working with him.  He is improving and making good progress.  All of us are encouraged.  But, it will be a long road ahead…

In our 25 years of marriage, we have had lots of ups and down, like any married couple.  There have been many happy moments and memories in the midst of dealing with his mental health.  Seven years into our marriage, he was also admitted to the hospital for psychiatric care; however, a suicide attempt was not involved that time.  For the last 19 years, he’s been managing amazingly well, in the midst of everything.  But, I guess that was not meant to last.  So, here we are again, back at the same hospital.  Jared and I never knew the “in sickness and in health” would mean anything like this.

People are always telling me “you are amazing,” “you are so strong,”…let me tell you, people.  I am only amazing and strong because of Jesus in me.  It is not me.  It is Christ in me.  We have over 200 people praying for us…we could never do this alone!  There is no shame in asking for help.  There is no shame in mental illness or suicide attempts.  It is a sickness.  There are many things out of Jared’s (and my) control.  We are not meant to walk through challenges alone.

So, how am I doing?  I. am. tired..  I am taking care of myself—eating, sleeping well, exercising, doing fun activities, balancing being alone and being with others—but I’m crashing from the “adrenalin-high” from the crisis at the beginning.  Now that he is in a safe place and getting the help he needs, I can rest for a bit.  However, I don’t know how long that will be.  Once he comes home, that will have a whole new set of feelings and emotions for us both.  I know I’m not ready for that today.  Our mantra is…”a day at a time.”

How else am I feeling?  Just an overwhelming heaviness and sadness is setting in.  I know I can’t stay there.  I know I need to allow myself to feel it.  I’m battling the “I should have known he was hurting so much….I should have seen it…I should have done more to help him…I should have…I should have…I should have…”  I know I need to release myself from these…I’ll get there.  Just maybe not today.

Jared is a funny, intelligent, sensitive and loving man.  He loves Jesus.  He loves me.  He’s just got some broken connections in his brain.  I look forward to the day that Jared is healthy and whole again.  We are both in this together—100%.



If you’re not already receiving prayer request updates from me and would like to, please email me at jandv1992@gmail.com with your email address.  I’ll add you to future email updates.

Thanks for listening, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment