Thursday, June 18, 2015

Thoughts on being a missionary...

When I knew I was coming on this trip, I was praying that I could be an encouragement to our missionaries.  I don’t know how much of an encouragement I was to them—they have touched me, encouraged me and blessed me in so many ways!

What a privilege it has been to spend so much time with all of these amazing men and women of God.  What is the common theme for all of them?  A firm and strong foundation in Christ that sustains them through anything they encounter.  These humble servants of God both begin and end their day with God.

It has been a joy to see the powerful love represented between spouses.  All of the couples have persevered through many different trials, struggles and challenges, but have come out stronger in the end.  How?  Again…their firm foundation in Christ.  Our last leg of this trip has been with Jake and Nancy.  They will soon be married for 60 years and have served here together in Africa for most of those years!  My heart has been blessed to spend time with them and just observe their love for God and each other.  Actually, they remind me so much of my beloved parents who are no longer here with me. 

During this trip, I’ve been thinking about characteristics that are important in a missionary.  Especially in my role of recruiting global workers, I’ve been gaining some valuable insight into a life of a missionary.  It takes commitment—know that you are called of God to do this and just follow through with it no matter what.  Don’t doubt God’s call.  Have the attitude of “doing it” not just “trying it.”  Learning the language is so important.  This builds trust and respect from the people and helps you to learn and understand how they think.  I think it takes determination to work and live cross culturally. 

I’ve also asked this question of some of our workers here what they felt were good characteristics in a missionary.  Here are just a few of their thoughts: 
  • ·         Be willing to be embarrassed and misunderstood…over and over again
  • ·         Be willing to be “real” – not pretending you are better than you are
  • ·         Acceptance at the loss of privacy
  • ·         Confidence must come from God, not one’s self
  • ·         Be teachable
  • ·         Be trained in the sense of being committed and experience as a disciple and disciple-maker

Think about it for yourself.  What would you do if you didn’t have water every day?  How would you react if the power would go out at random times in the middle of whatever you are doing?  What would you do if you were offered some food that didn’t look so appealing?  What if you couldn’t understand a lot of the conversations around you, because you were still learning the language?  What about the days when you feel really alone and missing your family and a culture you really know and understand? 

I know we are not all called to “go.”  But, we all do have a role in sharing Christ’s love and the gospel message with others.  We can pray for those who are on the “front lines.”  We can encourage them as well.  Are you doing your part?  Am I doing my part?

So thankful to have been able to spend time with these amazing people!

with Doug and Barb in Malawi

With Earl and Lois in Malawi

With Jonathan and Becky in Malawi

With Bruce and Joleen in Choma

With John and Esther in Zambia

With Jake and Nancy in Zimbabwe

No comments:

Post a Comment