Monday, June 8, 2015

Our last day in Malawi

This week in Malawi has gone by so quickly!  I knew we would have a lot of travel and be trying to fit quite a bit into our short time here.  I’m so thankful for the opportunity to get here and see our global workers in their homes here.  Seeing their ministry first-hand is so helpful to me in so many ways.

On Monday morning, Bridget and I watched Micah and Rachel to allow Jonathan and Becky to have time for a breakfast date out.  They don’t have many opportunities to get away together.  We were happy to bless them with a few hours.  We enjoyed reading, playing on the swingset and building with legos.

Mid-morning, we joined Earl and Lois and the students for chapel.  There was a time of singing and teaching from the book of I Samuel and the story of Hannah.  Of course, we couldn’t understand anything since they were speaking in Chichewa.  

Chapel

After chapel, we had a short break of tea with some of the teachers.  Tea has been something I’ve really come to enjoy here in Malawi.  I do enjoy tea in the states, but rarely take time for it!  Malawian tea is delicious.

Tea with the teachers

After tea, we joined Earl in his classroom, teaching the New Testament.  This class was in English and was fun to experience.   There were about 7 students in class.  I actually learned some things too!  Right before lunch, I had the opportunity to videotape Jonathan with one of his students, Patrick.  Patrick is here in his first year of study.  He had been a pastor in his rural village, but has now come to be taught so he can take his learning to others in his village.  I loved hearing his journey and experience as well.

Earl teaching

Jonathan and Patrick

After lunch, we went in to the city to market and the Mandala House, the oldest building in Blantyre, to do a bit of shopping.  The Hesses tried to take us to Fisherman’s Rest during the afternoon as well; however, they were closed.  We found this surprising, since it was just a place to walk or hike and take in amazing views.  The Hesses didn’t give up…we pulled over at a lookout spot along the road to still be able to take in some of the view.

a view of the valley

On Sunday, when we were talking with Gift, he mentioned that he wanted to do some sports ministry in his home village.  Earl, Bridget and I talked with him of some ideas of games that really don’t take much equipment—prisoners base, capture the flag, or kick the can.  Gift was interested in learning these games, so he arranged to have some friends join us on Monday afternoon to learn.  When we returned from shopping, Bridget and I changed into our shorts and sneakers, and wrapped up in a chetenje to join the group to learn the games.  We didn’t play long with them, but they learned very quickly.  It was so much fun!

Teaching some students to play games (we had more join us later!)

We have a very early start in the morning to go to the airport to fly to Lusaka.  Once we arrive in Zambia, we will be traveling by bus to Choma.  Please pray that all of these travel plans go as smoothly as possible.  There will be a driver meeting us at the airport to take us to the bus station.  It’s a long bus ride…we will arrive in Choma late afternoon on Tuesday.


I cannot express how much I have thoroughly enjoyed our time here in Malawi.  I do hope that I have another opportunity to visit again!


Bridget and I with Earl and Lois

watching a video of Micah doing an amusement park ride

Jonathan, Becky, Rachel, Micah, Bridget and me

No comments:

Post a Comment