Sunday, February 24, 2019

Some closing thoughts...


So, we didn’t get to our hotel in Athens until 3 am.  We crashed and slept until about 9:30.  We didn’t want to miss breakfast at the hotel!  What a nice treat when we saw this view from our hotel while we ate! 


Carbs, carbs and more carbs...
 
Good thing it's really only my silhouette you see...looking a little rough...

  
This trip is winding down.  All of my service and appointments are complete.  I’m sitting in the Athens airport for my final flight of the trip.  I’ve seen much.  I’ve experienced much.  I’ve met many pretty amazing people.

What do I do with it all now?

I’m still trying to wrap my head around all that I have seen, smelled and experienced.  Some of my thoughts?  (Bear with me, because they will probably be jumbled)

Why am I one of the “lucky ones” to have been born in America with so many freedoms?  I didn’t have a choice in where I was born.  Why am I able to avoid severe tragedy, trauma, war, loss, and persecution?  Sure, I’ve had hard stuff in my life to deal with.  But nothing can compare with the refugees I met and interacted with who have fled for their lives and many have been separated from their families.

How do you reconcile that?

I have no idea.  I know after the experiences I have had on this trip, I am even more aware of needs in Europe but it also causes an awakening in my heart for the needs at home.  The refugees are not limited to Europe or outside the US.  They are at our back door.

I will always remember my first day, walking into camp in Lesvos.  Our senses play into our memories so much.  There is nothing quite like walking into camp, through raw sewage that is running down the hill at camp.  The smell hits you first.  The camp is just overcrowded, but, honestly, I expected much worse conditions.  As you walk up the hill to “base” (the info center where we started each day), you pass people milling about, some laughing and smiling, just like in any neighborhood, and you could almost (not really) forget you were in a camp.

A few of the refugees have “set up shop” outside of their homes—selling coffee, or shoe shining, or a barber.  These things aren’t “legal” in the camp, but the police/government lets it go.  How could they take away such a small thing that has such an impact on the refugee’s life?  We all need to have a purpose.  The struggle for the refugees to find purpose in this place just breaks my heart.

I believe I have already mentioned in a previous blog, all of these refugees are just ordinary people stuck in a bad, temporary situation.  I cannot even begin to imagine how they feel or how they go on every day.  How would I be in a situation like this?  How would YOU be in a situation like this?

When we spent some time with the two ministries in Athens, and needed to be sensitive with photos we shared…that’s because if any of the refugees families in their home country would see their photos and that they were tied to Christianity, the refugee could be killed if they would return home!  We cannot even imaging having to live that way.  Do YOU have to fear for your life because of religious choices?  Hearing the stories of many refugees coming to know Jesus was such a joy and so encouraging!

All of this work in all of the ministries, with all of the people we met…it all takes so much time.  There are years of investment here with many of the workers.  Think about that when you catch yourself wondering “what are those missionaries doing over there anyway?”  They are on the front lines.  Hearing the stories of trauma.  Carrying burdens that nobody is meant to carry.  Plugging along day in and day out, building friendships and relationships, trying to build the trust so they can even begin having a conversation about faith.  It takes time.

I’m not trying to place a guilt trip on anyone.  My hope is that maybe I can present a better picture to you of these refugees.  Put yourself in their shoes.  Walk a day in their lives.  Show some love, kindness and grace. 

This trip was a great experience of tying the full circle together.  Starting in Lesvos and traveling in Athens and Germany put the entire picture together.  Basically, I followed the journey that many of the refugees would have gone.

When the refugee crisis hit Europe in 2015, many fled Turkey to Lesvos.  Many were given passes to go on to Athens and Germany.  Now, however, the borders have been closed in surrounding countries and many refugees cannot go any further than Athens.  Many cannot find jobs.

Where is the hope in all of this?  Jesus.  That’s where.  Many are coming to know Jesus (who was a refugee himself!).  Many are finding true freedom in Him.  Many lives are being touched.  Many more lives need to be touched.  What can you do?

Pray.  Listen to what God asks of you.
Go. Take a risk.
Support others who go.
Find ways to get involved with local refugee work.
Stop judging.

What will I do?

Pray. Listen to what God asks of me.
Go. Take a risk.
Support others who go.
Find ways to get involved with local refugee work.
Stop judging.

May God direct all of our steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment