Saturday, February 16, 2019

Saturday…are we at the same place?

I got up this morning to enjoy a short run around the town.  It was just me, lots of cats, plenty of dogs barking and roosters crowing.  I really love mornings.  Nothing like a crisp run to explore in a new place.  I am so thankful I am able to do this.






Walking into camp this morning felt very different.  It was still windy and cold, but the sun was shining brightly.  People were out and about.  I saw some teens hitting a volleyball around.  The area around the information center is normally PACKED with people, stopping to ask questions about housing or other things.  But, there was hardly anyone at the information area.  It was hard to believe the huge difference.  I guess weekends have a different feel.

Every Saturday, a local ministry hosts “Women’s Day” at a nearby center.  From 10-1, the women from the camp can come to “just be girls.”  They can enjoy tea and stations are set up for crafts, make up, nails, and painting.  They usually have 50-100 women come each week.  They also have Bibles available in several languages, if conversations ever lead to that.  This time on Saturday is really just to offer the women a break from the camp.



The highlight of my day was to hold a baby while her momma enjoyed doing make up with her friends.  This baby was the sweetest.  Her name is Fatima.  I spent time loving on her and praying over her.  She is 4 months old and was born in camp.  Her family is from Afghanistan. 



Me, W and S left the event around 11:30 to go in to Mytilini for lunch and to debrief with S.  S has been serving here for a few months.  I wanted to get some of her feedback and input on the programs and how things were done here.  This trip is a time for me to learn and experience all that I can so I can discern best with our leadership team whether or not we should bring teams and individuals here.  We had a very tasty lunch together and the conversation and information from S was very helpful.




We returned to the center just as women’s day was ending.  I walked back to the camp soon after and captured this photo of part of the camp on the hill.


Once back in camp, it was a slow day.  A little boy was hanging around with us at the Information Center, drawing pictures for us.  He was really good at drawing.  He said he was doing "portraits."  So...I'm not sure what he saw in me?  (there are butterflies in the picture, though.... 😊)



There were many volunteers and not as much work.  So, me, W and C were dismissed around 2:30 in the afternoon.  We drove to the warehouse where all donations are sorted and then brought into camp.  Things like clothes, tents, heaters, diapers, toiletries, etc.  All of these things are sorted at the warehouse and then packaged by gender and size.  Then they are ready to be used for “new arrivals” as people continue to arrive on boats from Turkey.


After leaving the warehouse, we spent a bit of down time at a local coffee shop town (Panagiouda).  We decided to take a chance to see if there were any appointments available for a local spa for massages.  And…what do you know…they had some 30 minute appointments available.  I also enjoyed some time in the thermal spa (basically a natural hot tub) while others had their appointments.  What a treat….




After our relaxed spa time, we went to dinner at a local restaurant that serves Greek food, “family style,” and you pay by donation.  Any extra (from donations) goes towards meals for refugees.  The food was delicious – I don’t know what I’m even eating half the time, haha.  It’s all delicious!







We are thankful that tomorrow is Sunday which means a day off.  We will be going to church and then touring some of the island.  Looking forward to a later start and NOT having to set an alarm.  Although, you know me, I’ll be up early anyway.

I can't believe that Monday will be our last day here and last day at camp.  I'm still just overwhelmed about all that I am seeing and experiencing.  Thank you for your prayers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment