Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Expectations...

Leading up to coming on this trip, I was praying over and reflecting quite a bit on Matthew 25:42-45.  It’s a familiar passage to many of us (I’m including verses 31-46 for more context):


When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.  All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheet from the goats.  He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the Kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and y9ou gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.  For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

It was interesting to me (although, not surprising) that we studied and discussed this during orientation our first morning on the island. 

A couple thoughts I am reflecting on: 
  • · S    Sheep and goats – sheep needing a shepherd
  • ·       Both had the same answer – basically, “when did we see (or not see) the need and do something”
  • ·       Jesus is the one in need in this passage and is on the receiving end
  • ·       We talked about some of the Psalms as well, and how many times “refuge” is mentioned in the Bible. 

Bottom line – all of us are created to do good works.  This is something inside each of us.  Honestly, we were created to naturally help others!  It should be an automatic thing.  I know these seem like random ramblings to you, but I’m trying to remember and process some of the things in this passage…so bear with me.

On Wednesday, we had front seats to experience Matthew 25.  It was a wet, cold day…it rained the entire day.  It was actually a good day for me.  Honestly, I had no idea what to expect when I walked through that gate today.  Frankly, I expected it would be harder emotionally for me.  It’s certainly not easy, but I am thankful I am here to do what I can for the short time I’m here.  I know your prayers helped me through the day. There is so much in the media about the camp—that just isn’t true.  Yes, the camp is overcrowded, but conditions are not nearly as bad as what I had anticipated. 

We will be working the day shift from 8-5 this week.  When we arrived today, we had the team meeting to start the day, a short devotional, and then everyone was assigned tasks.  We had a 30-minute tour of the camp to get our bearings.  And, then, we were off…

My first assignment was to help at the Information Desk.  Probably a bad idea for first-timers, in their first hour of working… The Information area is where the POCs (people of concern—not called refugees) come to find out things about their housing, or appointments, or really anything.  It was chaos!  The need for translators is great!

After being there for a bit, I was placed on housing.  Three of us helped move some single men from one unit to another unit.  The unit they were vacating was needed for someone else.  We carried their things, in the rain, winding through the camp to another unit.  Once they were moved, we cleaned the vacated unit to prepare for the next group. 

One of the challenges at the camp is new arrivals trying to take over housing that is not assigned to them.  Seriously, this camp is run like a well-oiled machine.  Many are on a list to receive housing, but there are others ahead of them.  So, after cleaning the unit, W and I sat inside, “guarding” the place until the new family/persons arrived.  We had to send away other families and people multiple times until the appropriate family arrived.  I did a lunch run and brought it back for W and I to share while we guarded the place.

After a few hours of that, we went back to the information center to see what was needed next.  I was tasked with delivering “tickets” for doctor appointments throughout the camp.  These tickets were to inform people of doctor appointments they have coming on the next day.  Thankfully, I was partnered with another person who has been here for a bit and has done this, so she could show me the ropes.

Then, just like that, it was 5:00 and time to go.

It was a hard day, but a good day.  I am thankful for my “farm girl” upbringing and hard work ethic.  I am thankful that I am also learning to live in the moment.  Honestly, it was tough to sit inside that house (“box”), waiting for something to happen.  I just kept thinking there had to be other things I could be doing that would be more helpful!  But, no, that was what was needed.  I took the time to pray for those who had left the unit and those who were coming.

I am reflecting much on the many life experiences I have had the opportunity to have.  So much of my life I have learned discipline, resilience, kindness, joy in the hard times…all of these life experiences have helped prepare me for such a time as this.  I am constantly reminded of God’s love for me and for others.
I am learning and observing much.  These people are just ordinary people in a tough spot.  If I can bring any bit of joy to them while I’m here, I will have accomplished much.

Thanks for your prayers.  We get to do it all over again tomorrow…hopefully with less rain.

W and I...our soggy selves...

Unpacked unit, starting to clean it

 

"picnic" lunch inside the unit

New people moving in


Thankful I packed these rubber shoe covers for the trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment