Monday, December 16, 2013

Speaker's Corner and our Team

Before I came on this trip, I was expecting teams to be about 8 people or so, from all over the world.  I guess that is typically how it was done in the past.  However, this time, we have 2 teams—one with about 8 people and our team with 21?!  They said it had something to do with only one driver for a commercial vehicle or something.  I didn’t really understand what the deal was.  But, in any case, we have a very large team--some from South Korea, Brazil, UK, Pakistan, Australia, and quite a pack from the US (8 from TX, 2 from PA and 1 from NJ).  I’m really enjoying getting to know those on my team from the other countries.  While I have nothing against Texas, I was really hoping for more of a cross-cultural team.   The other team of 8 has much more cross-cultural representation. 

Most of my teammates have been believers for a long time.  Several of them really have a heart for Muslims.  Others just have a desire to share their faith with anyone.  The man from Pakistan shared his story.  He and one of his brothers are the only believers in his family.  Please pray for his parents and other siblings to come to know Jesus.  This man is married and has two children.  He and his wife are believers working in their community to spread the news of Jesus.

It’s so early into our trip.  I’m looking forward to continuing to get to know my teammates.  Some of them are a lot of fun!

Sunday was a long and draining day, as anticipated.  After breakfast, we attended the church service at Stonebridge.  It’s a small congregation, so we tried to spread out.  Nothing like having a pack of 20 people in one area—it would look rather intimidating, rather than welcoming.  We were also informed ahead of time NOT to sit in a specific chair with arm rests…this seat was the “usual” spot for a specific woman who would NOT appreciate you taking her seat.  Bryce chose a seat next to her before she came in.  He wanted to see what she was like.  We found out she didn’t appreciate too much fellowshipping prior to the service, when she yelled at everyone (not just our group) to be quiet, that this was a place of worship (this was 20 minutes before the service was to start).  The funny thing was, she proceeded to get up and leave during the Pastor’s sermon, before he was finished! 

You know, it’s funny how God chooses to use us.  I had come on this trip with some expectations, and so far it has been completely different.  I expected to be ministering to many others—mostly Muslims.  I don’t know why I never really thought about me ministering or being used among my teammates.  But, God did that on Sunday.  After the service, one of the girls on my team (from Texas) asked me if I would share how I lost both of my parents.  Turns out, her mother just passed away two months ago and she is in the very early stages of grief.  I was able to share with her, encourage her and pray with her.  While we never like to go through difficult times, it is always such a blessing to be a blessing to others through our experiences.

After lunch, our group went to Speaker’s Corner.  The temperature was in the 50’s and there was a chance of rain (really?).  We knew the crowd at Speaker’s Corner would be much smaller than what you would see in the spring.  There were various emotions among the team as we walked to Hyde Park.  Some were excited.  Others were scared.  Others were anxious.  I found it strange that I really wasn’t scared at all.  (Or maybe that wasn’t strange since all of you were praying?)  I wasn’t putting any pressure on myself to force any conversations with anyone.  I knew if nothing else, I would at least be praying for others during our time there. 

Maybe I should say a bit about Speaker’s Corner.  This happens every Sunday afternoon and it’s a chance for anyone to get up and speak about whatever they want.  Some do it for 30 minutes.  Others go much longer.  But, the entire time someone is speaking (or really it should be called yelling), those in the crowd that are listening are also shouting things back at them.  They could be shouting in agreement, or not, or just shouting nonsense to create confusion among everyone.  It was a bit overwhelming.  When we got to Speaker’s Corner, there were 4 people on ladders.  One man from Africa who was preaching about a man in his village who they believe is actually God, 2 others were Muslim, and another was a Christian from India. 

We paired off in teams.  I was with Naomi and Judy.  At first, we just walked around a bit, trying to take it all in, just observing.  I was actually hoping for an opportunity to share my faith with someone--which I was surprised by.  We ended up in several conversations with a few Muslims.  It was such an unusual position to be in, being more aggressive in your faith, just sharing what you believe.  I found out I wasn’t great with the quick comebacks.  I had a few very odd conversations and I was also pulled aside to talk about nonsense, while Naomi and Judy were witnessing.  The Jewish man that pulled me aside started a conversation with me about England’s history, and a whole lot of other things that didn’t apply to faith.  The entire experience was just overwhelming, strange, discouraging, and at the same time, encouraging.  How can that be?  I was discouraged that I felt like I didn’t do much and realize that I still have so much to learn.  But, I was encouraged by the many Christians who go there every week to just share their faith and speak the truth.  Monday is an entire day of training.  I’m sure it will be long, but I’m looking forward to gaining more tools and understanding so I feel more prepared as we continue to evangelize this week.

The team spent about 2 hours at Speaker’s Corner.  Just as we were finishing up our time there, Jay Smith arrived with his ladder, along with his partners Jacob and Sid.  They began sharing about Jesus and the Christ of Christmas.  Jay drew quite a crowd (I can’t imagine it in the spring.)   Bryce and I ended up staying longer to meet with Jay after he finished, while the rest of our team went to a church plant to be part of a Christmas caroling program and serving there.  So, Bryce and I had the privilege to spend another hour at Speaker’s Corner, hearing Jay.  Wow…

Bryce and I ended up joining Jay and his team, and several others who he is teaching, for dinner.  Most everyone at the table ordered a spinach and egg pizza.  I had never seen a pizza with an egg on it?  Jay was shocked that we don’t have that in the States.  He gave me a piece to try and it was actually surprisingly good.  During dinner…talk about deep theological discussions…WAY too deep for me!  Sitting next to Jay, across from a Barrister, next to a Professor and another student…need I say more?  After we finished dinner and the conversation continued, I managed to “escape” and join the other end of the table to chat with Bryce, Sarah (another member of our BIC team) and Ben (from Egypt).  This conversation was a bit more to my level.  J

Walking back to Jay’s car on Regent’s Street and Oxford Street, we got to see some beautiful Christmas lights.  Although it was raining, it was definitely a pretty sight.  We met up with the rest of our team back at Stonebridge for our debrief. 


Thanks for your prayers.  Please continue to pray for rest and good health.  Still haven’t had an opportunity to run—hoping maybe that can happen on Tuesday.  I think we have a later start in the morning.  Pray for Naomi, on my team.  She’s from NJ and is really seeking what God wants her to do next.  Pray for Brittani, on my team.  She is the one grieving the loss of her mother.  And, please pray for the man from Pakistan.  I don’t want to share his name, for his and his family’s safety.  Pray that we can all absorb the knowledge we need during the days of training so we are prepared as we go out again later this week.  Still having great weather so far—mild, but rainy and cloudy.  So thankful it is not as cold as everyone had warned me about!











No comments:

Post a Comment