Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Beautiful worship

First, I have to say, I'm sorry for the way my posts are coming through, with the white background for the text.  I know how to take care of it, but honestly, by the end of the day when I'm trying to write the blog, I just don't care. For those of you that know me well, know I must be tired, because it DOES bother me that it's not done correctly. Moving on...

Our pre-orderd breakfast from last night was ready for us at 7:30 as we had hoped.  Definitely the way to go.  I had ordered an egg sandwich and a banana lassi (think banana smoothie).  Well, my egg sandwich arrived and it wasn't what I had expected.  It was a cold sandwich, more like our egg salad sandwich, and it had something like coleslaw on it.  While it wasn't what I had in mind, it was tasty.

Today we took a road trip to the Jhopa District.  For those at home, this would be something like going between Lancaster County and Perry County or another county.  It was a 2-hour drive out of the city, into the countryside of Nepal.  This country is just beautiful.  I love the rural area and to see all of the animals and the farming.  I've taken pictures along our travels, from the car, but I'll sort them out later.  I'll share another post sometime to show the landscape.

There are 4 BIC churches in the Jhopa area.  I had the opportunity on my visit 5 years ago, to be part of the church dedication of one of the four churches when they completed a new church building (a thatch straw building).  It was so good to be back in the area again, but to visit the congregation in Mansapur.  

When we arrived at the church, we were greeted warmly and served some delicious tea.  Then we joined them for a worship service.  When we left the hotel in the morning, Ken informed me that I would be asked to "give a word", so I had the 2-hour drive to think about what I would like to share.  

Here are just a few of some of the dear people we met today.





The time of worship together was just beautiful.  I've been blessed to have the opportunity to be able to worship with many other believers in many parts of the world, many times where I do not know the language.  There is just something really beautiful and special when you listen.  Although you cannot understand the words, you definitely sense the presence of the Holy Spirit and know you are united in Christ.  There is no way to explain this experience other than to experience it yourself.  It's beautiful!

They welcomed us with their tradition of giving us their equivalent of the marigold lays around our neck.  In this area, it is a beautiful fabric, draped around our neck.  

Ken introduced me for my time of sharing and Hannah (Shemlal's wife) was going to do the translation.  Before I spoke, of course I took a selfie with them!  They seemed to enjoy that and have fun with it.




I shared briefly with them, giving them greetings and mentioning my previous visit and then shared about how although we all have hardships in our life, God is always faithful.  Ken then shared a brief message.  There was a time of visiting and more photos after the service closed.  I was able to meet two young adult girls who had been part of the SPICE program for 2 years.  One is now in University and is serving as a deacon at the church.  The other, is younger and is in high school, and serves as a Sunday School teacher.  These are the types of opportunities that the SPICE program gives to children!



We enjoyed a delicious meal together and then it was time to get on the road again.  These are our church leaders in the Nepal area.  They are doing such a wonderful job of hosting us.  We are comfortable and feel very loved.  


Driving here is no easy task.  The driver must stay very alert.  There are things coming from every direction imaginable -- people walking, riding bicycle, tuk-tuks, cattle crossing, goats meandering, motorcycles and other traffic, all coming towards you too.  It's crazy (and a little entertaining!)  It's amazing there are not more accidents given these conditions.  And, there are many "rules" - for example, our driver wants to pass someone in front of them, they beep their horn.  That person is to move to the left to allow a pass.  However. the opposing traffic is also coming towards you and they want to keep going.  So,whoever flashes their lights first, has the right of way. There is just so much to keep straight in your head!  (There are probably other "rules" too, but that's all I got for now!)

Later in the evening, Hannah and Shemlal hosted us in their home for a delicious meal.  It was a special time together.







Tomorrow will be another travel today.  We are on our way to Bihar, India.

Thanks for praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment