Monday, October 21, 2019

Sunday Afternoon Drive

We had the day off on Sunday. It was lovely.

For the first time since I've been here, I was able to get up and go for a run. It was a much needed stress reliever from all of the emotional stress we are carrying here. The island of Lesvos is beautiful. Full of many beautiful Greek people and POCs (we call refugees people of concern). Got to see a beautiful sunrise.



Enjoyed a delicious greek yogurt with fruit, honey and walnuts for breakfast after my run. So good!


Some sites around the island during my run.



It was nice to be able to have some of my first alone time since getting here. Since church starts at 11, it gave me a few hours with me and Jesus, some exercise and space to breathe and take in the beauty around me.

We went to Oasis for church. After church, as people were visiting, Mina (the young lady I met last week at church) saw me in the distance and ran over to greet me with a hug and some kisses. It blessed my heart that she looked for me and found me. I had prayed with her the week before. She doesn't speak much English, but I was able to share Jesus' love with her. Please continue to pray for Mina, that the Holy Spirit would reveal the true Jesus to her through dreams and others she meets.

Our team was all together today for the first time in a few days too.  Barb is still battling sickness but seems to be on the upswing. 

We took a Sunday afternoon drive to explore some of the island. I was leading the way, heading to Molyvos, where the life jacket graveyard is.

I'm driving the car ahead...
En route to Molyvos, we took time to pull over for photos as anyone saw an image they wanted to capture. We stopped at a Monastery on the way. I remembered this from my trip in February. They have a cafe there that serves some yummy doughnuts. Of course, we had to have some.



 

We continued on our way to the life jacket graveyard. This is where all of the life jackets accumulated after the refugee crisis hit in 2015. It seems like this has become the town junkyard now. But, it is a very somber location, when you think of all of the lives represented and the stories that each jacket could tell. While it's sad to see, we need to remember that this pile actually represents lives that were saved, not lost (in the physical sense). It also represents the many lost souls here who need Jesus.




After stopping to see the life jacket graveyard, we drove to a nearby castle. Unfortunately, we just missed the closing time by 15 minutes, so we couldn't go inside. Here are some of the views from there.




 

We got back into town around 7 pm and had dinner together at a local restaurant. We invited Kristopher (Kris) to join us. We had met him at camp. He served here a few years ago and came back this time on his own to serve a little over a month. He's an amazing young man, seeking direction from God on the next steps he should go. He has a heart for the nations and POC's specifically. It was fun to get to know him more and hear his journey. Pretty sure we will be hanging out with him more this week when we can. He is actually serving with Eurorelief as shift coordinator. I believe he will be on our shift a few days this week when we work 4-12.


Now that we've been here a week, I finally feel somewhat normal, sleeping and getting up at a reasonable hour. On Monday morning, Sarah and I went for a jog and saw another sunrise. Then we spent some time praying together. It was a sweet morning.  Our team met for brunch and sharing. Most of us are working the same shift as Barb this week (4-12). Kevin, however, is working the overnight shift (12-8). 



We are still working out how to juggle cars and pick up times, etc., but it's working out. Since I will have some time during the day this week before going into camp, I'm looking to explore several other local ministries in the area working with POC's. Pray that I am able to make connections and appointments as I research other opportunities here. Pray that as I bring back information to the US, the organization is able to discern best ways we can minister and serve in this area.

I plan to explore some English teaching options, sports ministry, art and music ministry. I appreciate your prayers for great connections with those serving here.

Personally, I am still wrestling with many of the feelings I experienced when I was here in February. How did I (and many of YOU reading this) have the opportunity to be born in the US rather than a more difficult, challenging country? We didn't have a choice in the matter. Many of these POCs didn't have a choice either. So many of these POCs are businessmen, entrepreneurs, doctors, teachers...all well-educated people, who gave up everything to protect their family. We've heard of so many stories of these people who were wealthy and had huge homes and businesses and fled for their lives and are now living in a small ISO box or tent.  It just doesn't seem fair. I know God is good. I know He is in control. I know as crazy as it sounds, many of the POCs are here because they are hoping for a better place for their family. I just wish there was more I could do.

Please pray that as we are on the 4-12 shift, we have many God-ordained times to interact with the POCs. Pray that we would be sensitive to the Spirit and be obedient in what God asks of us. Pray for opportunities to pray with the POCs. We cannot evangelize, but we CAN share our own stories of hope. We know we cannot change everything in the 2 short weeks we are here, but we can plant seeds that can continue to be nurtured by the long-term workers here.

Thanks for following along and praying for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment